Thursday, August 23, 2007

City Feed Sandwiches

Ever since moving to New York, I haven't found a favorite sandwich place that measures up to City Feed and Supply in Jamaica Plain, MA.

City Feed is a small grocery/take-out place on a corner of a residential street (it seems like I have a thing for the corner-residential establishment). What's great about the place (besides their sandwiches and coffee) is that even though it's small, you feel as if there are a lot of options for groceries (maybe it's good feng shui?). They have lots of healthy and organic foodstuffs plus a small produce section which features vegetables from local farmers. Plus they have scratch pads hanging off of the aisles for people to suggest additional items for the store to carry. And City Feed has a nice candy and chocolate section by the cash register.

But the best thing about City Feed are its sandwiches. I have tried several of the sandwiches, but my favorites are the #1, which is turkey, cheddar, lettuce, marinated red onion and this really great red pepper relish on a brioche roll, and the #9 "Farmer's Lunch," which is cheddar, green apple, pickled green tomato, lettuce, grain mustard and mayo on this gigantic-too-big-to-fit-in-your-mouth roll. Although this past weekend when I had the Farmer's Lunch, the roll was too much for me, and I have decided that in the future, I will request it on the brioche roll. In addition to these specially designed sandwiches, you can create your own. And for you non-meat eaters out there, City Feed's ingredients are very vegetarian and vegan friendly.

Sadly, the sandwich menu has changed, though; the #2 is gone (who really likes Tofurky deli slices anyway?), but City Feed is having people who come into the store vote for a new sandwich to replace it.

Which got me thinking, what is your favorite sandwich? So I added a poll (thanks for the suggestion, Dirk) so that you can vote for yours. I tried to make a fairly comprehensive list without it getting too ridiculously long, but if you don't see your favorite listed, submit a comment to this post about your favorite sandwich.

Which brings me to, while I was researching for different sandwiches to put on the poll, I found the site the Sandwich Project, a forum for people to submit their favorite sandwich recipes. You can search the archives and find a new sandwich to try!

Also, please note that I will be on vacation for the next week and a bit so I won't be posting, but I will be sure to report back any interesting food places I visit.


City Feed and Supply
66 Boylston Street
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
617-524-1657

http://www.cityfeed.com/home.php

No comments: